We believe these are fundamental attributes every home should have.
High Quality Workmanship
We take a unified approach to building – every detail of construction is supervised by the same experienced carpenters who care deeply about their craft and the quality of the projects we build. High quality work lasts longer and is more satisfying to live with.
- Applying the latest building science techniques
- All materials are evaluated for quality, style and durability
- Advanced framing techniques
- Custom cabinetry and woodworking
- Housed stair construction
- Custom entry doors – a unique signature
Livability and Universal Design
Our projects are a testament to our craft, built specifically for our clients but never forgetting the importance of beauty and respecting the earth. Special universal design features make it easy for friends and family of all abilities and ages to use and enjoy your home.
- Complete design service working closely with our clients to meet their needs
- No-step entry
- Easy to reach light switches, outlets and controls
- Fully accessible bathroom and accessible kitchen features
- Easy to operate plumbing fixtures, door handles and light fixtures
- Wide hall and door openings
Choosing products and construction methods that have a reduced impact on the earth is simple and considerate of our natural resources.
- Quality work lasts longer and give the materials used the respect they deserve
- Advanced framing techniques reduce the amount of material needed without sacrificing strength or durability and improves insulation performance
- Extensive reduction and recycling of materials reduce our waste material from a typical 15% – 20% on a project down to about 3%
- We offer Iowa woods milled and processed at our shop
- Framing and cabinet materials certified as responsibly harvested by the Forest Stewardship Council
- Our products are researched for origin of manufacturing and embodied energy with preference to local materials with a low amount of energy needed to manufacture and transport them
Conserving Energy Resources
Conservation features reduce our dependency on fossil fuels and keep utility bills low. An emphasis on making the building envelope energy efficient will save on energy resources no matter what type of heating and cooling system you use now or in the future.
- Heating and cooling systems designed specifically for the loads and requirements of each home
- Fully sealed exterior walls and ceilings
- R-64 attic insulation and R-30 wall insulation
- Triple glazed windows
- All our new homes are tested to assure .1 air exchanges per hour or better. A very tight house!
A healthy home brings comfort, gives peace of mind, and improves the quality of life. We have intelligently addressed common in-house health issues with a variety of insightful solutions.
- Central vacuum vented to exterior
- No VOC paints
- Low VOC finishes
- High efficiency air filter system
- Air to air heat exchangers for fresh air
- Hard surface floors and integrated walk off mats to help keep your home cleaner
- No gas combustion appliances to eliminate the carbon monoxide threat
- Fully sealed foundation, sump pit and basement floor to address radon issues
- Formaldehyde free insulation
- Sealed duct work improves comfort and helps to prevent uneven pressurization of rooms that can drive moisture into your walls